Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Purge and surge

The purging process in moving can be both a cathartic and painful experience. Its wonderful to clean out the clutter, but my back...well, that's the pain part.

As Clint and I near our exodus to Texas, cats and company, I'm left to wonder what I'll miss most about California other than the weather. I'll miss my associates who are more my friends than coworkers. I'll miss going to the beach when ever the mood strikes. I'll miss the sunsets, the Starbucks at every corner, and Portos. Oh god...Portos! And most of all I'll miss my friends.

There are many things I won't miss, which are too many to list here, but suffice it to say I bid them all good riddance. Texas is not only a complete change in landscape, but a much welcomed change in lifestyle. Long have I wished for a slower pace, an opportunity to just chew the fat with Buba, and the chance to look up into the night's sky and actually see more than a dozen stars. I want a place to call more than a home. I want to call it my community.

I don't know if Clint and I will settle for good in The Woodlands, but its a good place to start. Its beautiful and picturesque. It has excellent marks for education. The housing is reasonable. And best of all I can take my time and just enjoy my day. Yes, I'll be commuting. Yes, I'll have to deal with the humidity and heat. Yes, I'll need to adjust how I approach people and business. Yes, I'll have to change my attitude. All of this is what I need. It isn't easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is.

So I bid California adieu and thank you for all the truly golden memories I've had, but don't worry. I won't let the door hit me on the way out. I'll simply remember what you used to be and what you could have been. I'll remember you for the fun, the joy, and the love I've experienced here.

Now, if you see a pair of Scions whipping by its just Clint and I. We're on a mission to go forth into a new life. Well, more like surge into it. Hey, you would too if you had two cats whining at you for over 1,500 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment