Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Escape the Slush Pile--MJ Davidson

I have been reading a fabulous book by MaryJanice Davidson published in ebook format only entitled Escaping The Slush Pile.

MaryJanice provides example query letters along with the back story for each, the response and outcome. She goes into detail, outlining why this worked and what didn't. There are pearls of wisdom seldom seen in such books, which has ignited my passion for writing once again. Thank you, MaryJanice!!!

Among the many nuggets I found, one I'm eager to start is attending meetings at the local Romance Writers of America chapter in Houston. This will have to wait until Clint and I move to The Woodlands in Texas, but already I'm chomping at the bit to have the opportunity to meet fellow writers who love the genre as much as I do. I've heard they don't support ebook publishing, but given the way the market is going, they might have to concede to its success soon. Some are reporting ebook sales into the 300% in December and January, which makes sense when you consider how many people received e-readers during the holidays.

Getting back to MaryJanice's book, perhaps the best parts of her book are the queries and synopsis examples. Its hard, really hard to write both. Believe me, I've been doing it for ten years and still I get stuck. Her examples get the creative juices flowing--doesn't that sound yummy--enough that I wrote a one page synopsis in the middle of the night after reading her book.

There are many good resources out there to help authors hone their craft, and Escape The Slush Pile makes an excellent addition to the list.

1 comment:

  1. I've been giving a lot of thought to updating and re-publishing this, and stumbled across your lovely comments. Thanks so much, and I hope my book was able to help you in some small way!

    ReplyDelete