Friday, September 10, 2010

Criticism...scorned and cherished

"Criticism is one of the hardest things to take and one of the most valuable things to embrace."
(Source: http://twitter.com/chickenbuttlips)

Over the years I've come to realize just how true that statement is. I've winced, bristled, and listened with rapt appreciation to individuals who have been both brave and patient enough to impart pearls of wisdom to help me improve my skills. I hated it at the time, only to realize what special allies these people were to help me in the first place.

It takes humility to endure the sometimes brutally honest assessments, but I learned it takes wisdom and a certain type of pride in one's work to analyze, process and eventually integrate what is imparted. And what I found most intriguing is that the more vehemently defensive I was about the critique, the more I needed to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment